Are you interested in firefighting as a career? Get a head start toward achieving your goal with the Glendale Fire Department Explorer Program. Here you will learn the fundamentals of firefighting in hands-on training taught by Glendale Fire Department Firefighters.
Fire Explorer recruitment periods occur during May and November. Explorer Recruits enter the program at the end of the recruitment period upon successful completion of the application packet and background investigation.
- Age 16-20
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average while attending school
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. if out of high school (Fire Technology classes desirable)
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend directions and training materials in English
- Ability to listen carefully and understand others
- Ability to work as a team member
- Willingness to learn
- Willingness to have fun
Complete application properly and completely. Application packet includes, but is not limited to:
- Entrance Application
- Autobiographical Sketch
- Waiver and Release of Claims
- Parental Advisement Form
- City of Glendale Volunteer Agreement Form
- Background Investigation Questionnaire
- Authority to Release Personal Information
- Medical Evaluation
- The Recruit will also be required to complete a Live Scan fingerprint background check and provide a copy of school transcripts to meet the GPA requirement.
The Explorer Post continues to meet throughout the year while an academy is not in session. Meetings are the first and third Friday evening of each month from 7 to 10 p.m. A floating Saturday is also scheduled to perform hands-on drills. More specialized and in-depth training is performed at these meetings to continue to build the foundation for becoming a professional firefighter.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ride-Along Certified Explorer
After 6 months of participation at post meetings and in good standing in the post, you become Ride-Along certified. This certification allows you to experience what it is like to be a professional firefighter. Based on your age, you can now ride-along for 14 or 24 hours with a Glendale Fire Department unit as they respond on real life emergencies, attend drills, and perform daily duties at the station. Other duties of an Explorer are:
- Assist with public education
- Serve the Glendale community